[Pmwiki-users] wiki farmer needs help with harvest

Neil Herber nospam
Thu Jan 13 20:32:39 CST 2005

At 2005-01-13  07:47 PM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 08:23:00PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> > I just set a farm up according to the instructions in the docs and it
> seems
> > to work just fine. The problem for me that all of the domains currently
> > hosting PmWiki are password protected, and the farmconfig.php script:
> >
> > <?php
> >       $FarmPubDirUrl = 'http://www.example.com/pmwiki/pub';
> >     ?>
> > requires the "pub" directory to be in a non-protected, serveable directory.
>
>Can you just copy pmwiki's distributed pub/ directory to somewhere
>that isn't protected?  Each field (including the main farm) can still
>have its own separate pub/ directory that it refers to by $PubDirUrl,
>and those files can be protected.  (I'm guessing that you really don't
>need to protect the files in pub/ that come with PmWiki--you only
>need to protect files that you add yourself such as skins and the like.)

(directory stuff snipped)

>Then set $FarmPubDirUrl to be "http://webserver/farmpub';

I _think_ this will work for me.

Is "pub" the only directory that normally lives inside the "main" PmWiki
that is accessed via URL?

Ideally I want to have the PmWiki distribution in a directory that does not
live inside the web root. Then all my instances of PmWiki, either in
protected or open subdomains, will simply consist of directories with a
local directory, a wiki.d directory, and a field.php file. And I am betting
that I can call the field.php file anything I want, such as pmwiki.php.

Or to put it graphically:

/commonfiles  <--- not web accessible
     /pmwiki
         /local
             farmconfig.php  <--- sets $FarmPubDirUrl =
'http://openvhost.example.com/farmpub'
         /+--- remaining full pmwiki distro - only thing that need to be
updated for new versions
/webroot
     /openvhost
         /farmpub    <-- copy pmwiki's distributed pub/ directory here
             /guiedit
             /skins
                 /pmwiki
                 /print
     /closedvhost
         /wiki
             /wiki.d
             /local
             /pub    <-- if needed to contain custom skins
             pmwiki.php     <--- include('W:/commonfiles/pmwiki/pmwiki.php');

Does that sound (look??) right?

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/