[Pmwiki-users] Marathon Skin Problem

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Jan 14 12:19:08 CST 2005

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 06:01:43PM +0100, Steffen Bauch wrote:

> I need some solution that I can integrate into my skin ... I am clueless
> how to do it. Also this solution doesn't seem to work because
> $HTMLStylesFmt[] is included before the other inline CSS with marathon skin.

You should be able to use !important or switch where the CSS files
are being loaded into the marathon skin to get what you want.

> Can you show me some example why you need this statement?

Sure, here's what can happen to the page history when they aren't there:

    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/FloatDiff?action=diff&clear=none

Compare that to what we get when the "clear:both" are included:

    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/FloatDiff?action=diff

> I don't like the whole inline CSS, I think the way of display should
> only be determined by the skin, not by the backend.

Can't do it, because of the necessity of supporting optional cookbook
modules.  Getting rid of the inline CSS capability would mean that
either (1) every skin would have to set the CSS properties for every
cookbook script or module that *might* be installed on the site, or
(2) the site administrator would have to modify skin files every time
he she installs a cookbook recipe that needs some CSS support.  There
has to be way for modules to easily add CSS properties they need
into the output, and $HTMLStylesFmt/$HTMLHeaderFmt is the mechanism
by which they can do it.

Plus, there are plenty of site administrators (including me) who need
the capability of setting CSS properties from within PHP configuration
scripts rather than trying to handle them all within .css or .tmpl
files.