[Pmwiki-users] Automatic Newlines

Menachem Shapiro menachem.shapiro
Sun Jan 16 18:25:30 CST 2005

B"H
Hello,

I am pretty new to the whole wiki thing and am looking for a nice,
simple wiki to set up. My goal is to have non-technical end users edit
the wiki.

I downloaded and installed Pmwiki, and I like it. It looks highly
configurable and simple for the end user to use. The one thing I
notices though is that newlines (Carriage Returns) are ignored. I saw
that I can force a newline by adding \\ at the end of the line, but I
am looking for a way to avoid having to do this. While I don't mind it
that much,  I am worried that my end users won't be able to grasp
this.

I did some searching online, and on the mailing list and found that
this issue has been brought up many times before. However, I couldn't
find a conclusive answer: Is there a way to have Pmwiki recognize a
Carriage Return as a newline?

I found this post:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/4853

which offers a solution, but I wasn't able to successfully implement
it. I added the line to config.php, but couldn't get the
[[linebreaks]] to do anything. Of course, I could have misunderstood
what the fix was trying to accomplish.

So, in conclusion,  is there a way to have Pmwiki recognize a Carriage
Return as a newline, letting me create a newline without having to use
\\ ?

Thank you,
Menachem

PS as a disclaimer, I should add that I have almost no knowledge of
PHP scripting.