[Pmwiki-users] Can PmWiki have smilies ?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Jan 17 07:44:55 CST 2005

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 10:59:40PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> At 2005-01-16  10:22 PM -0500, trip somewhere is rumored to have said:
> >Just an idea from forum software. Can the wiki have smiley gifs when
> >someone inputs stuff like :D :) and others ? o_0
>
> I hope not!
>
> I found them so irritating on my installs of PHPBB that I disabled them. I
> explained to users that I had sold them all to Wal-Mart.
> (This may only make sense in Canada, where Wal-Mart ads feature various
> smileys wearing construction hats flying around the store slashing prices.)

It makes sense here as well (Texas), where we also see the Wal-Mart
smileys.  However, I seem to recall that the smileys in our ads are often
wearing cowboy hats as well, as they "roll back" prices
to the theme from "Rawhide".

As Scott pointed out, smileys are a cookbook recipe.  In fact, I think
they were either the first or second cookbook recipe ever written.  :-)