[Pmwiki-users] Creating Groups

Wade Hudson whudson
Thu Jan 20 00:33:33 CST 2005

As I just referred to in my email to Ciaran, your formulation below
helped me to finally understand what is really a very simple issue.

In addition to the reminder coment at the top of the Sidebar you
mentioned, which makes sense to me, I suggest the following changes to
the Documentation Index.

At the bottom of the Creating Pages page, maybe add something like:

+++++
When  placing a link in the Sidebar, you may want to use
[[Group/SomePage]] in lieu of [[SomePage]] as the page name because the
sidebar page appears in groups by default (unless you create another
sidebar). See WikiGroups for more on how groups work.
+++++

On the WikiGroups page, it seems it would help to have it read:

+++++
PmWiki has the capability of classifying pages into groups of related
pages. Creating a new group is as easy as CreatingNewPages; simply edit
an existing page to include a link to a page in the new group using the
following format [[Group/SomePage]] or [[Group.SomePage]]. Then click on
the '?' to edit the page.

When users click on a WikiWord, PMWiki automatically searches for a page
within the same group. So to create a link to a page in another group,
you must use GroupName/WikiWord or GroupName.WikiWord to create the
link. The only place where you need to include the group name is when
the target page appears in a different group.

Remember, when placing a link in the Sidebar, you may want to use
[[Group/SomePage]] in lieu of [[SomePage]] as the page name because the
sidebar page appears in groups by default (unless you create another
sidebar). See WikiGroups for more on how groups work.

Using the SandBox to test when beginning to build a site can help
clarify these issues and prevent having to recreate pages.

By default, the RecentChanges page of each group shows only the pages
that have changed within that group; the Main.AllRecentChanges page
shows all pages that have changed in all groups.
+++++

If all that is correct, it might be easier for novices like me to grasp.

Thanks again,
Wade