[Pmwiki-users] how can I display the current skin name?

Hans Bracker design
Thu Jan 20 03:47:06 CST 2005

Tuesday, January 18, 2005, 5:55:17 PM, Neil wrote:
> 1) In my local pub/ directory, change the skin directory and file names to
> match the case of the PmWiki documentation pages. (My server is case-agnostic).

> 2) Request that skin authors name skin directories and files to match the docs.

Do you mean that the cookbook page about a skin should have the same
name, excluding 'Skin', as the custom skin directory? So for example
having  a page called GeminiTwoSkin in cookbook should be matched by a
directory called GeminiTwo for the custom skin? Or will geminitwo do,
but gemini2 will not? I prefer all lower case file names, and you seem
to too according to point 1.

> 3) Include a $SkinDocsName variable (suggested name only) in a skin that
> uses the case of the docs. Then I could link to that.

Who should define this varable? I suppose the skin author should. But
he can only do this in a customskin.php file. But he may not use one.
best place would be really in the template file, in a meta tag perhaps
which can be read by pmwiki and assigned to the new variable you
propose.

Alternatively a skin author can add the skin name to a credits block,
and even hard code a link to the skin docu page. But i am not too fond
of having permanent links to other sites in the template. Better to
point to a page locally, see next.

> 4) Store the skin docs locally (not ideal, since they get updated and have
> comments appended.)

Still a good idea since it can be linked with easy and can give all
basic information, plus provide a link to the cookbook page.

> 5) Create a local page with the skin name and a redirect to the PmWiki docs
> - except I can't get redirect to work on external links. (How can I do that
> , by the way???)

i hope redirection to external pages is not allowed/possible in the
default situation. opens the door t too much mischief.

Best,
~Hans