[Pmwiki-users] 'Reset' button in edit page

Neil Herber nospam
Thu Jan 20 06:55:56 CST 2005

At 2005-01-19  11:41 PM -0800, Menachem Shapiro is rumored to have said:
>In edit mode (?action-edit) there are three buttons: save, preview, and reset.
>
>The reset button is supposed to revert any changes made to the page.
>However, it only works until you press preview, once you press preview
>you can no longer reset the changes made on the page. Is this the
>intended behaviour?
>
>As a workaroung I just re-hit the edit button and the page reverts to
>its last saved status.

 From what little I know, this is a result of the behavior of HTML forms
with POST arguments. The reset action causes the form to be reloaded with
the starting values. However, when you hit preview, PmWiki creates a new
instance of the page with your edits as the starting value for the text area.

The Lean Skin has a very elegant way of handling this: it provides a
"Return to PageName" link at the top of the screen. Other skins turn the
page name that appears above the edit box into a link, but many users do
not notice it.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/