[Pmwiki-users] Re: Another Question

Ciaran ciaranj
Sat Jan 22 01:15:16 CST 2005

Hi Wade
I've cc'd Pm in, incase I mis-explain something to you  :)
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:56:59 -0800, Wade Hudson <whudson at igc.org> wrote:
> Ciaran,
>
> Thanks much. That explains in helpful technical language that I can
> relay what I intuitively understood.
>
> I wonder if you can also help me with passwords and access. I've read
> the Help documents, and they are all pretty much Greek to me. On  our
> site:
> http://progressiveresourcecatalog.org
> I want to allow all visitors to edit all pages in the "Open Catalog."
>
> What is the best way for me to do that?
If 'Open Catalog' is a single group then this is very easy, you can
set the passwords on individual pages, individual groups, or
individual wikis quite simply.
Passwords in PmWiki (currently, there is an outstanding bug in PITS on
this) are not user-specific.

The passwords, restrict certain 'actions'.  These actions are
'read/browse', 'edit', 'upload' and 'attributes'.

To set the password on a wiki page one merely appends the sequence
'?action=attr'  to the end of the url specifying a particular
WikiPage.   This will bring up a form allowing you to set the
passwords explicitly for each of these particular actions.

To set the password for a whole group one appends the same sequence
(?action=attr) onto a 'special' page within the group you want to
protect.   This page is called 'GroupAttributes'   so to protect a
group named 'Books', you would browse to page
'Books.GroupAttributes?action=attr' the passwords you set here will
then be respected across the whole group (I believe that if you then
further specify passwords on pages within that group, the local page
passwords will be respected over and above that of the group)

Please note that actions can be given default passwords across the
whole wiki via your local/config.php file.

> I'm assuming that we will be able to block abusers if and when need be,
> or restrict access later.
Not at the minute, see my earlier point about an outstanding feature
request (PITS 0010 I think..)