[pmwiki-users] how does one encode "file:" link in a wiki page?

Gautam H. Thaker gthaker at atl.lmco.com
Mon Jan 24 16:36:50 CST 2005

Hi:

My usage is exactly as you are envisioning - in side a corp. network. Here we
are all on a shared file system. We have many projects and each of these have
lots and lots of files (which we org. in some sensible manner.) THis has been so
for years. Now, what we  are also doing is to have wiki pages for the projects.
I want the wiki pages, which have lots of free flowing text and references to
many external URLs, also have a *pointer* (i.e. URL) to a local file. I do *not*
want a copy of the file uploaded, that does no good since duplication will
occcur. Of course my long term intent is that I should be able to click on one
of these file URLs and appropriately set applicaiton, such as openoffice, would
let me edit it etc. I can navigate around my project world using annoted wiki
pages or if I just care for files via normal "cd", "ls" ,etc.

I hope this makes sense. I think mozilla ignores it prob. due to restrictions
placed on it by apache to ignore files outside of root may be (/var/www/html,
for example.) So i think that can be overcome with config files for apache.

Even c:/windows/foo/local.file can be useful in a wiki. Here it just refers to
local files for everyone. I could in my wiki page say:

"To make life easier click on link below and comment out line ......

file:///c:/windows/foo/local/file.

"

I admit, this is strage use of wiki, but in some cases useful. (But my use case
of file: is not this extreme, local per PC file case. I just want to point into
our shared NFS filesystem.)

Gautam H. Thaker
Distributed Processing Lab; Lockheed Martin Adv. Tech. Labs
3 Executive Campus; Cherry Hill, NJ 08002
856-792-9754, fax 856-792-9925  email: gthaker at atl.lmco.com