[pmwiki-users] Re: Edit, Preview, and Save Without Scrolling

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jan 25 17:59:51 CST 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 04:18:19PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> I'm working on another skin and I have a question about previewing.
>
> Is it possible to append "#preview" to the URL generated by the Preview
> button on an Edit Page?

Unfortunately, I suspect not, because the Preview button doesn't generate
a URL -- it's a "submit" button for a form.  I'm not sure of a way to
tie url fragments (the "#preview" part) to a submit button.  It might
be possible to do it by attaching "#preview" to the url for the form
itself, but that might have some other unwanted side effect.

It might also be possible to do something in JavaScript to get things
to work, but that causes the form to lose a fair amount of its
simplicity.

> ps: It would be helpful in at least two ways if the <br /> that follows
> the Button Bar were in $PageEditFmt rather than $EditMessageFmt.

Actually, I think where we're headed is that $PageEditFmt
(or $HandleEditFmt) needs to have more structure than it does now --
i.e., a way to easily tag/modify/reorder the various components of
the edit page.  I just haven't come up with a structure I like, and
it could easily break some existing scripts/configurations that like
to modify $PageEditFmt.

> pps: Is there some resource that explains how to use $[language]
> variables in skin.php files?

I'll do this one in a separate thread.