[pmwiki-users] search robot indexing

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jan 27 07:46:42 CST 2005

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 04:16:28PM -0600, Benjamin Wilson wrote:
> > The problem with this is that it isn't very flexible.
> > You can't tell it to ignore history and edit pages,
> > you can use it to block groups and pages if
> > you use UsePathInfo.
>
> I added "rel='nofollow'" to the "action" links (edit, history, diff,
> etc.) in hopes of telling Google not to follow that link.

>From reading Google's description at
http://www.google.com/googleblog/2005/01/preventing-comment-spam.html
it's not clear to me that adding rel='nofollow' causes Google or
engines to not follow the link -- all it says is that such links
receive no credit when ranking websites in search results.  So
I'm not sure how effective this is.

However, one possibility is to write a cookbook item that will detect
when Googlebot or another search engine is accessing the page and
disable the ?action= parameters then.