[pmwiki-users] Re: Make URLs not case sensitive?

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Fri Jan 28 11:36:41 CST 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Neil Herber wrote:

> Since I have decided to move away from CamelCase for link markup I am not
> that attached to CamelCase file names. All lowercase would be fine. The
> CamelCase file naming makes it slightly easier to read the directory in an
> FTP client, but that is a rare event.

I'd very much want to preserve case sensitivity in the URI for both the
group name and the page name. Otherwise I don't see how we differentiate
between a group called 'Howtos' (as in plural of How-to) versus 'HowToS'
(where we have HowToA, HowToB etc). Sorry that I couldn't come up with an
example that's easier to understand.

Having said the above, I could see the advantage if the URI is
	http://pmwiki.org/wiki/MAin/SomePage
that pmwiki first checks for a group called 'MAin/SomePage' and if that
doesn't exist it starts a case insensitive search (on group names). I
assume the URI should be redirected in this case so that the resulting URI
would be.

	http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Main/SomePage

/Christian