[pmwiki-users] Make URLs not case sensitive?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jan 28 13:26:54 CST 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 12:16:47PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:

> I presume that the page name (as opposed to the file name or page title) is
> stored as part of the page and will display with caps as appropriate. Yes?

This was true in PmWiki 1.0, but I'm not sure if that particular feature
has made it across to PmWiki 2.0 yet.  But the question then becomes --
how does PmWiki know what the correct capitalization of the pagename
should be?

If [[page name]] becomes a URL to http://example.com/wiki/main/pagename,
where is PmWiki supposed to learn that it should be displayed as "Page Name"
in the title?  We'd have to use "page_name" in the URLs to keep the
spacing and be able to figure out the capitalization rules (similar to
how MediaWiki works).

Remember that a page's name should generally have different capitalization
from how it appears in the text, so one cannot rely strictly on the
case of the letters in a link to determine the case of the page's title.

This isn't to say that it can't be done with underscores or other
capitalization rules -- it obviously can, but somehow I haven't been
able to overcome my (some would say irrational) dislike of
underscores in filenames and urls.  Plus, people seem to be able to
understand the current method, even if it doesn't always do exactly
what they want; I'm afraid that other choices can lead to unwanted
surprises.