correction! Re: [pmwiki-users] Make URLs not case sensitive?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jan 28 16:20:10 CST 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 04:54:32PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> At the risk of wandering well outside the boundaries of PmWiki conventions,
> I try to use newspaper-style headlines wherever possible because I find
> them more readable and just plain nicer looking than so-called "title-case".

Frankly so do I, but read on...

> So by that rule the page title should be:
>         My Photoshop page
> rather than the title-case version:
>         My Photoshop Page

> But the problem for a page title really seems to be coming down to "What
> did the author intend?"  As long as PmWiki can honor the author's intent,
> this should have no bearing on the OS-viewed filenames.

I haven't been discussing the OS-viewed filenames at all, that's the easy
part of all of this and there's really no question how to do that.  The hard
part is the "What did the author intend?"  I'm not sure how to get from
a URL that looks like

    .../Main/myPhotoshoppage?action=edit

to a title that somehow magically "knows" that there is supposed to
be a space before "page" when it stores the page's name (doesn't matter
if it's "My Photoshop Page" or "My Photoshop page") in the
wiki.d/main.myphotoshoppage file.

The theory I was working from was that we use the case in the URL
when the page is created as the case to be used for the page's name.
Thus  [[my Photoshop Page]] results in .../Main/MyPhotoshopPage?action=edit
(exactly as it does now) and PmWiki stores "Main.MyPhotoshopPage" as
the page's "real" name.

The "surprise" in this approach comes if someone creates the page using
a URL like .../Main/myphotoshoppage?action=edit, then the stored pagename
becomes "Main.Myphotoshoppage" and that's what gets displayed in the title
until a (:title:) directive is set for the page.  Of course,
[[my Photoshop page]] still links to it correctly (as do all of the
other case versions), but the default title looks all wrong because of
how it was initially created.

But maybe that's just not as big of a potential surprise or confusing
factor as I fear it will be.

(aside to John Rankin:  Yeah,  yeah, I know -- use underscores to represent
spaces between and this problem goes away and we get lots of other nice
features.  *sigh*  :-) :-)