[pmwiki-users] RE: Page Edit Ideas

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jan 31 09:31:07 CST 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 08:31:51AM -0600, Ben Wilson wrote:

> First, I have to say that I like avoiding creaping featurism. I love
> PmWiki's Cookbook approach. When I see the list of nice-to-haves in
> the email PM posted, I felt I had to post something.
> [...]
> I am of the opinion that PmWiki's default edit behavior is best.
> Provide us with a set of well-integrating cookbook recipies and
> let the user decide which features to include.

Good points.  Actually, my original post was probably unclear
about this, but my intent isn't necessarily to incorporate all
of the features directly into the default distribution, but
just to build a framework that makes it easier for such features
to be added via cookbook recipes.

The current framework for the page edit screen fails in this
last respect, in that it's hard for cookbook authors to
adjust things on the edit page.  It can be done, but the "hooks"
for doing so all seem to be in the wrong place, and that's
what I want to fix.  However, in order to know what hooks
to provide, I need to have a reasonable idea of the range of
features that might want to be supported, thus my original post.  :-)