[pmwiki-users] using (:title:) markup

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Mon Jul 4 09:13:10 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 03:50:35PM +0100, Hans wrote:
>

>>I am in the process of importing pages from html, and many need to
>>have a (:title:) markup. But using this markup at the top of the page,
>>which seems to be a  sensible place, requires all page content, text
>>or headers, to follow the markup immediately. If I start on the second
>>line I get a vspace inserted.
>>Is this a bug with markup at the page top?
>>Or already classed as annoyance?
>>

>It's already classed as an annoyance that needs to be fixed.
>
>I've been thinking that the solution is going to be that directives
>and other things that result in empty strings will not generate a
>blank paragraph at the beginning of the page.  It may even
>end up being that we by default ignore all blank lines at the
>beginning of a page, but I haven't committed to that yet.

I'm a little confused as to why it would ever be a good idea to let
markup generate empty paragraphs?

If I understand correctly then the current behaviour seems inconsistent
with HTML. Surely if there is only a single line break then this is
actually equivalent to keeping everything on one line, ie:

(:title some title:)
Some heading

would be rendered something like:

(:title some title:)Some heading