[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: Some documentation added for "markup variables" (Was: How to add a variable to {$var}-markup?)

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Tue Jul 5 16:48:50 CDT 2005

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> Well, not exactly.  The example says "name of current group using
> only lowercase letters", but doesn't give that.  You really want
>
>     $GLOBALS['mygroup'] = lower(FmtPageName('$Group', $pagename));

Ok, I've fixed it now. I also made slight changes to text.

	http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/MarkupVariables

> Of course, one doesn't need to use $GLOBALS at all for this --
> for this particular example it seems just as easy to do:

The only reasons I could think of where:

* You get to define several "markup variables" using a single rule
* The variables are added to $GLOBALS, and thus available in FmtPageName()
  etc. (Not that I know why that'd be useful).

Btw, if you look at the top of the page

	http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/MarkupVariables

you'll see that I left a red note wondering what you need to do in order
to make the "markup variables" available in the php code. The reason for
this question is really that I linked to this page from PmWiki.Variables,
where the PmWiki.Variables mostly discusses php-variables instead of
markup variables.

So for instance, given that "{$Groupspaced}" works in the markup, what
does it take to be able to use it like this:

	$var = "Hello, the current group is $Groupspaced";

I'm guessing you'd have to do something like:

	$Groupspaced = FmtPageName("$Groupspaced", $pagename);

/Christian