[pmwiki-users] Markup engine global improvement

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jul 6 08:42:25 CDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 08:49:53AM +0200, Dominique Faure wrote:
> Following some threads about markup internal improvements (aka. Keep()), I
> was thinking of some major improvements that could be made to the engine
> itself:
> Encapsulate all the markup stuff into a class (as it has already been made
> for PageStore). This way, it could be a lot easier for the engine to
> generate something else than (x)html from wiki page: pdf, latex, rss,...

This would be much later in development, if ever.  It's just way outside
of the PmWikiPhilosophy and core.  Also, OO stuff tends to alienate a lot
of potential developers and people who may want to implement simple
customizations.  (Yes, this can be fixed somewhat with wrapper scripts.)

However, I'll also note that John Rankin has successfully done some
work in the area of creating and maintaining alternate output formats,
so it's definitely possible within the existing framework.