[pmwiki-users] Keep() function documented

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jul 6 09:49:28 CDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 04:35:32PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:00:00AM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> >>... It's just that this forces constructs that may span several
> >>lines into a *very* early stage of processing (whether these
> >>constructs are nestable or not)
> >
> >False.  Notably, PmWiki's implementation of block markups (including
> >nested lists, tables, etc.) all happen at the line-by-line level,
> >which is currently fairly late in the processing cycle.
> More importantly, you can't do nested tables (unless the docs are outdated).

No -- the decision to not support nested tables was and is a conscious
design decision on my part, and not because of any limitations
imposed by the line-by-line implementation of the markup algorithm.
I could've just as easily created a nested table algorithm, but I
deliberately chose not to because I didn't like the way it complicates
the markup from an authoring perspective.

(The proof that nested structures can be handled line-by-line is
demonstrated by the various list markups, which properly nest even
in the face of different nesting levels and nesting types.)