[pmwiki-users] Keep() function documented

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jul 6 10:29:48 CDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 05:18:00PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> >(The proof that nested structures can be handled line-by-line is
> >demonstrated by the various list markups, which properly nest even
> >in the face of different nesting levels and nesting types.)
>
> These markups generate nested HTML, which isn't trivial but a different
> issue altogether.

No, it's the *same* issue -- the fact that it's generating HTML is totally
irrelevant to the problem.  PmWiki itself keeps track of the list
nesting level for these structures, and does not (in fact cannot)
rely on HTML to do the nesting.  Otherwise we aren't able to close the
list items and lists properly, which is what nesting is all about.

My point is simply that it's entirely possible to handle nested markup
structures in a line-by-line processing mode, that PmWiki already does
it for some markups, and let's not mislead ourselves or others into a
false sense of believing it isn't possible just because PmWiki chooses
not to do it in a few instances.