[pmwiki-users] new edit form, accesskeys, user preferences

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Jul 9 09:04:12 CDT 2005

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 02:17:11PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> I found one problem though going to the German group with gemini skin:
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiDe/PmWikiDe?skin=gemini

Only one problem?  ;-)  I'm sure we're going to find lots of little
surprises here and there...

> The group uses the RecentChanges page, which got a German (:title
> Aktuelle Änderungen:). ...
> I suppose we can just write instead:
>
>  * %accesskey=$[ak_recentchanges]%[[RecentChanges| $[Recent Changes] ]]

Yes, it should probably be this way.

> I can't edit the page because the Site group has edit protection set.

The edit password for the Site group on pmwiki.org is now "quick".
Just be careful with making any changes to Site.EditForm -- it's
possible to mess up the form such that edits are no longer possible
on pmwiki.org.  (I haven't worked out how we should deal with this yet.)

> Maybe there is an alternative solution:
> Could one redefine the RecentPages page via XLPage to point to a
> different page?
>    'PmWikiDe.RecentPages' => ''PmWikiDe.AktuelleÄnderungen',
> or does this not work?

It can be made to work, but it requires changes to the $RecentChangesFmt
array.  The translation should probably look like

    '$Group.RecentPages' => '$Group.AktuelleÄnderungen',

Then it becomes a question of how to adjust $RecentChangesFmt.  We
could have the adjustment take place automatically, but this could
seriously surprise some admins when the recent changes entries start
appearing somewhere else.  OTOH, they'll be surprised when they don't
start appearing somewhere else, so we're kind of stuck.

For now I think it's best to leave all of this to an admin
to adjust.  At least until we know that an automated switch would
do less harm than good.