[pmwiki-users] Is (:e_preview:) working yet over at pmwiki.org?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jul 14 10:37:57 CDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 10:49:01AM -0400, Philip Clapper wrote:
> I've been trying to edit/update my Site/EditForm page with the
> (:e_preview:) tag -- not to be confused with its "parent" input tag --
> so that I actually see a preview when I press the "Preview" button.
> The rest of the tags seem to do their jobs superbly.
>
> Any thoughts on when this is going to get straightened out? Ideally,
> I'd love to be able to specifically place where my "preview" could go
> (e.g.: top/bottom of the page, etc), but it doesn't seem to be
> recognized yet.

Yes, it's supposed to work as you'd like -- and it does work that way
on pmwiki.org, at least for the default skin.  See
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Main/WikiSandbox?action=edit&editform=Test.EditForm,
which has the (:e_preview:) at the top of the page.  (The "editform"
parameter here allows use of an alternate form for editing.  Press "Preview"
to see the actual preview at the top of the page.)

So, I'm not exactly sure why it's not working in your case.  Make
sure that the (:e_preview:) directive appears at the beginning of
its line, otherwise it's not treated as markup.  (I'm not sure why
I have this restriction on e_preview, but I had reason for it at the
time I wrote it...)

> I'm using the "lean" skin, and I've commented out where $PageEditFmt
> would trip transition.php into action.

It seems to work on pmwiki.org -- take a look at
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/LeanSkin?action=edit&editform=Test.EditForm
and then press "Preview".  The preview does appear at the top of the
page here also.  (It also appears at the bottom of the page because I
haven't commented out the $PageEditFmt in the leanskin, so we get the
duplicate preview.)