[pmwiki-users] Switching (:include:) context

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jul 14 17:33:24 CDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 06:22:24PM -0400, Martin Fick wrote:
> > Conversations in the past around this issue have also generally
> > assumed that {$Name} and {$Group} would continue to refer to
> > the including page, which is opposite from what you're proposing,
> > so there's some potential for confusion there.
>
>   Hmm, I was proposing to keep it that way unless somone
> specifically used the switch in the including page in which
> case they would not be confused, would they?  Did you mean
> that they used the switch to get relative links, but would
> not expect {$Group} and {$Name} to change?

Yes, as these would be the only way to get back to the name
of the original "page that is being browsed", and again
assuming that inside of an included page one already knows
the group and name so can write them directly.

> > In general the principle is that an included page already
> > knows its own group and > name, so it doesn't need {$Group}
> > or {$Name} for that.
>
>   I guess in many cases that's true.  I have cases where a
> Group.Template was used to create the initial text and
> users are not expected to have to replace {$Name} with the
> actual value, but it would be nice to be able to have it
> set for the included page.

Just for clarification -- the Group.Template is being
used to create a page that is then being (:included:)
by another page...?  Hmmmmmmm, I think I begin to understand now.
I'll have to think on it a bit more.

How many times do {$Group} and/or {$Name} appear in the template?