[pmwiki-users] How to keep spammers away from my wiki?

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Mon Jul 18 20:45:15 CDT 2005

At 2005-07-09  06:18 PM -0400, Crisses is rumored to have said:
>On Jul 9, 2005, at 11:52 AM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
>>On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 04:47:34PM +0200, list at linuxing.de wrote:
>>>  How can
>>>I make the wiki save from spammers and at the same time avoid strict
>>>auth mechanism?
>>
>>You should definitely take a look at urlapprove.php (in the scripts
>>directory) and Blocklist in the cookbook.  These have proven to be
>>very effective at blocking spam on pmwiki.org.
>
>I have a large open-edit site protected by my Blocklist2 script (see
>the PmWiki site Cookbook) -- running for MONTHS with the blocklist
>seed I put on the PmWiki site, and no one has gotten through yet.

I have been away for 9 days and I installed Blocklist2 just before I left
because I was getting clobbered with XXX spam links. Nothing got through
while I was away. My blocklist is quite small - I generated it from
keywords in the spam links, partial URLs from the spam links, and entire IP
blocks surrounding the spammers' IPs. I use IP block banning on my mail
server too, and it is quite effective.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/