[pmwiki-users] Numbered lists and multi-paragraph

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jul 25 18:48:41 CDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 06:29:11PM -0400, DaveG wrote:
> Is that really the way to approach this? If it is, then doesn it not
> remove a large part of the benefit of auto-numbered lists?

So far it's the way to approach this, and yes, it seems to remove a
large part of the benefit of auto-numbered lists.  Part of the
problem in getting something like

    # Here is a numbered item.

      A paragraph in that same numbered item.

    # Here's a second numbered item.

to work is that leading spaces currently mean preformatted text, and
for a variety of reasons we haven't wanted to eliminate that.  So,
the approach I'm currently leaning towards is making PmWiki
smart enough to know when leading spaces mean "preformatted
text", and when they mean "continue something within the current
list item".  Figuring out the algorithm for this is tricky enough;
implementing it in the context of PmWiki's other structures is even
more challenging  ;-).  To see why, consider

   #Here is a numbered item.
   **Some nested bullets
   ***More nested bullets
   **More nested bullets
       Some text
    Some more text.
     Still more text.

It turns out there are several ways to interpret something like the
above; what's worse, there's no obvious one.  (What seems "obvious"
to one author often ends up being totally unparseable to others.)

> I tried using \\ markup, to carry the numbers over with no luck.

How about...

    # First item\\\
      Continues to a second paragraph.
    # Second item