[pmwiki-users] SearchExtensions

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jul 25 19:50:50 CDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 12:34:32PM +1200, John Rankin wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 July 2005 11:33 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> >On the "what to expect" front: one change that I'm quickly warming up
> >to is restoring ?action=search so that it displays search results
> >within the context of the page where the search was initiated.
> >However, I'll make sure not to interfere with the ?action=search
> >that searchextensions.php uses...
> >
> Humph. Since the main purpose of searchextensions was to
> restore ?action=search and this in turn led naturally to a
> SearchQuickReference page, I'd expect to be able to throw
> away much of the recipe code and use what PmWiki provides.

Yes, I'm hoping that'll be the case also, but I also know that the
changes I've been introducing have been causing some minor grief
with some of the recipes here and there, so I'm *really* trying to
avoid that.  :-)

> What's left will be largely cosmetic:
> - change the heading to Results of searching $Haystack for $Needle
> - put out a message when the search returns 0 matches
> - enable publishing of search results
> - turn the search box into a 'jump to page' box

Yes, this is correct.

> Just wondering:
> Now that Site.EditForm exists, should the ?action=search
> script be using a Site.SearchForm to be consistent?

Actually, I expect ?action=search will use Site.Search as its
template.  I'm also expecting (:searchbox:) to allow a
target option that says where the search should end up
instead of the current page.

> And ?action=rename a Site.RenameForm come to that.
> In other words, is it the intention that wherever possible
> recipes that add ?action= use a Site page to describe the
> layout of the resulting page?

I think we're still working out the details of the overall
scheme.  But putting these administrative/support pages into the
Site group seems to make a lot of sense.

> If so, is there a preferred
> method for distributing Site.XXX pages with recipes?
> Obviously these cannot go into wikilib.d as they will get
> overwritten on the next upgrade.

We could see about creating a cookbook/wiki.d/ directory for
recipe-specific pages.

> Or am I reading too much into the Site.EditForm features?

I don't know.  Ultimately I think we're still exploring the
best ways to play with some of our shiny new toys.  Options,
suggestions, and opinions are still open.