[pmwiki-users] improved markup for floating images...?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Jul 26 03:37:56 CDT 2005

>So far the best I've been able to come up with are %imgleft% and
>%imgright%, but I'm not totally satisfied with those.  Other
>possibilities might be %ileft% and %iright%, which are a bit more
>cryptic but fewer characters.

Ugg.. The more I play with pmwiki the more I feel that you violate your
own rule to "keep it simple".  Compared with media-wiki I am finding it
quite hard to figure out how to do more than basic markup...

Why don't we just introduce an img:xxx tag and use that?  Have a look at
the way media-wiki does it - I quite like their syntax (It's on my todo
list to have a bash at this img tag actually)

Also a lot of this formatting can probably be done more easily anyway if
the table syntax could be nested and divs wrapped around stuff.  Yeah
it's not perfect, but it's a lot easier to remember and more consistent
if you just stick your image in a table and then format the table to be
right aligned...

I have come up against the DIV limitation already - I wanted a table
with some text aligned in all cells at the bottom of the cell - I
figured using a div around the text to set the vertical-align property
would do it, but of course one can't nest them...  grrr.  The table
syntax itself is similarly frustrating because you seem to need to use
straight tags for the table level syntax, and then style="xxx:yy" syntax
for the cells...?

I'm way off topic now, but my final gripe which is causing me pain is
why something simple like %text-align=right% doesn't work (ie do
anything)?  The help pages suggest that it should do so...?  Using %p
text-align=right% is fine, but if you omit the block specification then
it doesn't seem to work... (Actually why do we need a block level spec
anyway?)

I think your syntax seems to be heading more and more towards early
html.  Why not try and head more towards XML where you have a tag
starting some syntax and then a definite end to the tag?  Just a thought

Ed W