[pmwiki-users] PmWiki docs - audiences (Was: suggested organizing ..

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Tue Jul 26 14:45:45 CDT 2005

At 2005-07-26  09:34 PM +0200, chr at home.se is rumored to have said:
>Sounds like a very good idea IMHO. What do you think of creating separate
>trails for these users?

The only problem with trails is that they do not give you any context. For
example, there might be 10 items on the new user trail, but the new user
can't see what they are without traversing the trail. An index page could
show all 10 items on the trail and give short explanations of each.

Trails strike me as the "magnetic tape" of the indexing world - great if
you are trying to follow a subject in a suggested order, a pain if you want
random access.

> > It is quite tempting to extend the number of audiences - for example,
> > advanced admins might create their own skins - but having just 4 audiences
> > prevents creation of "audiences of one".
>
>I don't understand... ?

Having just authors and admins does not allow for the wide differences in
ability or interest of each audience. I felt that 4 audiences was a
manageable number. Any more and you end up with the topics so finely
divided that some are only of interest to one person. It also make is too
difficult to classify an item, and we want to favor the authors who are
writing the docs by making the audience selection as easy as possible.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668