[pmwiki-users] PmWiki docs - overview pages (Was: suggested ..)

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Tue Jul 26 14:49:35 CDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Neil Herber wrote:

> Third, there should be more overview or index pages like
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Cookbook .

I agree. I think however that we should try and automate this process if
we can. Categories is one way, (:pagelist..:) should also be useful.

For instance, what if we used something like John's teaser approch? In
caes you're not familiar with it, it allows you to write something like:

	T* [[Group.Page]]

and results in a item like

	* [[Group.Page]]: This page discusses ...

where "This page discusses ..." is extracted from the beginning of that
page. We might however need to use an extended version where we don't just
take the first line of the page. Instead, we could say that each page
should contain descriptive paragraph that is tagged with e.g. #desc. The
teaser markup could then by default extract this paragraph if the page
contains that anchor.  John has already implement (some of?) this stuff,
so it's more a matter of deciding that we'd like to use it.

Another method to automate the generation of these index pages would be to
extend (:pagelist ..:) so that it appends a descriptive text next to each
item in the list.

> The page http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/DocumentationIndex is a
> poorer example (but much better than nothing!) because it does not have
> many capsule descriptions. It would also benefit from the addition of an
> intended audience indicator for each item.

I agree, putting a small text ("new user" or "expert user") or icons next
to the pages would help. But maybe that page should have different lists
for different audiences instead?

Oops... no time now, have to drink beer :-)

/C