[pmwiki-users] Re: suggested organizing principles for PmWiki documentation

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jul 26 15:43:15 CDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 04:22:05PM -0400, Neil Herber wrote:
> Maybe the audience differentiation needs to extend to the mailing list,
> too. Was there not a developer's mailing list at one point? That would seem
> to be the place to discuss proposed markups and recipes.
>
> Having said that, I have been on several lists where the tipping point is
> reached and users request splitting the list based on audience. But the
> developers need to get feedback from regular users, and lots of regular
> users want to see that development is ongoing. The seesaw usually tips back
> in favor of one list. I suspect that once V2 is out of beta, this list will
> settle back to more user-oriented questions.

There have been several times in the past where we've contemplated
a separate pmwiki-devel list, but I've always been on the side of having
just one list, for precisely the reasons you give here.  And so far it
has worked well, although the volumne and technical depth does tend to
frighten the non-developers a bit.

And I totally agree that once v2 is out of beta this list will likely
settle down to less development-oriented questions.  The flood of
messages over the past couple of weeks, and the requests for
information to be able to make some long-delayed decisions, are
being driven by my strong desire to get v2 released in a matter
of days instead of weeks or months.