[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Numbered lists and multi-paragraph

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Tue Jul 26 20:27:58 CDT 2005

On 27 Jul 2005, John Rankin wrote:

> On Wednesday, 27 July 2005 10:37 AM, chr at home.se wrote:
> >Anyway, as for the second case with the enumerated list, I was reminded of
> >how easy it is in Lyx to create arbitrarily compliated list. The principle
> >was that each "element" had a "nesting level". So when you wanted a
> >paragraph of normal text to not break a list, you simply increased the
> >nesting level of that paragraph. As a side effect, this also indented the
> >paragraph by default. Taking inspiration from there, maybe we could do it
> >with this kind of markup:
> >
> >We don't necessarily have to use '->' to indicate nesting, we could use
> >'=>' instead for instance. But I think I'd prefer redefining '->' to mean
> >increasing the nesting level, and have it indent normal paragraphs as a
> >side/styling effect.
>
> Could we /not/ use '=>' -- the markup extensions use => to indicate right
> aligned text; =< means left aligned and both are omitted from printable
> views, enabling one to write, for example

I actually prefer '->', '-->' and '--->' for nesting blocks, but I thought
I'd suggest an alternative :-)

> And on the features front, if I am editing such an indented block, can I
> select the whole block, click an indent (or outdent) gui edit button and
> move the entire block in or out?

I haven't the foggiest... I guess it involves some clever thingy that
replaces

	-> Nested paragraph

with

	--> Nested paragraph

... seems a bit tricky to me actually. I'm just replying because this is
exactly how it worked in LyX (although I used keyboard shortcuts instead
of course).

/C