[pmwiki-users] AuthUser

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jul 27 09:26:57 CDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 12:48:08PM +0200, Thomas N. Burg wrote:
> I encountered a - to me - strange phenomenon. By using a .htpasswd
> file together with the authuser-script I can't use names like:
> "Thomas Burg". I need to use "Thomas_Burg" or just "Thomas" in order
> to make it work. It seems as if it doesn't like the space. On the
> other hand it works for the admin user.
>
> Any ideas on that?

Well, in general most systems don't allow spaces in usernames used
for authentication.  PmWiki could conceivably allow spaces for
authentication purposes, but there's still a problem in using
such names for any sort of access control -- i.e., a password
setting of

    id:Thomas Burg

is actually "id:Thomas" and a password of "Burg".

PmWiki does have a capability to distinguish between author
names ("Patrick Michaud") and identification names ("pmichaud"),
but so far we haven't established any sort of standardized or
automatic mapping between them.