[pmwiki-users] improved markup for floating images...?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Jul 28 09:40:41 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>>>Here I'm explicitly including the possibility of re-using
>>>some of the existing PmWiki block markup sequences.  Some ideas...
>>>
>>>    %frame% Attach:image.jpg | caption
>>>

>>So long as containing the caption isn't a problem, this one is good.
>>PmWiki users already associate the pipe with "the following text
>>describes the preceding item".
>>

>This last point is excellent; I think I'll probably go with the
>pipe based on that.

I think the syntax might want to be

Attach:image.jpg|This is my caption|

(Notice the extra |)

The reasoning would be that the | seperates the filename from the
caption and gives a definite end to the caption.  It would not be
unreasonable to want to use most of the other characters in a filename
or caption I think?  The end "|" could be dropped if the caption did not
contain spaces perhaps?  The syntax would then be that a whitespace,
"|", or other special bit of markup would terminate the caption

2p

Ed W