[pmwiki-users] improved markup for floating images...?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jul 28 10:12:19 CDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 03:40:41PM +0100, Ed W wrote:
> I think the syntax might want to be
>
> Attach:image.jpg|This is my caption|
>
> (Notice the extra |)

Captions aren't available for inlined images -- in other words,
one cannot write:

    Here is a photo  Attach:image.gif|My Caption|  in the middle of text.

One can only attach a caption to images that appear at the
beginning of a line.  This means that the caption can be everything
from the | to the end of the markup line:

    %rframe% Attach:image.gif | My Caption

Note that I'm not talking about alternate text, which remains in
double-quotes as before:

    Here is a photo  Attach:image.gif"alt text" in the middle of text.

    %rframe% Attach:image.gif"alt text" | My Caption

In answer to a previous question about "should the alt text and
caption be the same...?", I'm thinking the answer should be "no".
Wikipedia does use the same text for both alt-text and captions,
but they also add "Unfortunately, it's is not possible to specify
different text for these two purposes."  [1]  We don't need to share that
particular misfortune.  :-)

Pm

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Extended_image_syntax