[pmwiki-users] improved markup for floating images...?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jul 28 19:28:25 CDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 01:16:44AM +0100, Hans wrote:
> Thursday, July 28, 2005, 8:09:00 PM, Patrick wrote:
> > Okay, the current implementation of image floating is now available
> > on pmwiki.org for people to test and play with.
>
> Seeing the Caption in action my first reaction was: can it not be
> centred?

It can -- use %rfloat text-align=center% instead of just %rfloat%.

Or, an author can redefine rfloat to include center-aligned caption text
with

    %define=rfloat rfloat text-align=center%

or an admin can make this setting in config.php with

    $WikiStyle['rfloat']['class'] = 'frame rfloat';
    $WikiStyle['rfloat']['text-align'] = 'center';

However, as far as I know the publishing standard for captions is
left-justification.

> previous solution: use  a simple table.
> So I wonder if the syntax can like be this:
>    image.jpg"alt text" | caption centred to image |
>    image.jpg"alt text" |caption left aligned to image |
>    image.jpg"alt text" | caption right aligned to image|

That's a good idea, but I'm not sure I'm ready to jump quite
that far yet.  I'm thinking that using simple tables (and the
simple table syntax) as the model for large-scale justification
isn't quite the right way to go.

> And why is the space necessary after the image, can the
> vertical line not follow directly?
> To put in an empty space is something one may forget easily.

AFAIK the space isn't necessary; at least, it's not supposed to be
required.