[pmwiki-users] attachlist syntax or attach rendering

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Fri Jul 29 12:41:27 CDT 2005

At 2005-07-29  12:06 PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 12:51:56PM -0400, Neil Herber wrote:
> > OK, I give up. I have scoured the docs and cannot find anything about the
> > attachlist syntax.
> >
> > So where is it? Or if it does not exist yet, how can I limit the files
> > listed by attachlist to those that match a patterns, such that: "my_file*"
> > would only list files starting with "my_file"?
>
>So far it's only possible to list files with a certain extension, as in
>
>     (:attachlist ext=gif,jpg,png:)
>
>There's not a generic wildcarding facility -- yet.
>Want to propose one...?  ;-)
>
> > If this is not possible, can I get the Attach: markup to emit the file
> size
> > info that attachlist so neatly provides? That is really what I want to do.
>
>Ooooh, that's definitely trickier.  Would you want Attach: to do
>this in all cases or do you have a specific syntax in mind...?
>
>Pm

I know it is not a good idea to base a design on a specific case, but
attachlist does almost exactly what I want, so I would propose to add a
"little" bit of wildcarding.

I am uploading the PDFs of a bunch of papers from a conference to a wiki.
They have names like:
*subject A revisited.pdf (with a PowerPoint PDF called "subject A revisited
PPT.pdf")
*paper 395 - a generic whoozit.pdf
*20050713_231.pdf

But I am quite willing (eager, in fact) to name them consistently with a
date, paper number, and a bit of subject, so:
*20050712_123_subject_A.pdf
*20050712_123_subject_A_PPT.pdf
*20050712_234_whoozit.pdf
*20050713_231_lone_wolf.pdf

I then want to be able to specify subsets of the papers:

(:attachlist name=20050712*:)  would list anything starting with 20050712,
or all the papers from the 12th.

(:attachlist name=20050712_123*:)  would list all the bits associated with
paper 123.

This would then give me a nice listing with the file name, its size, and
the date it was modified. The asterisk could be eliminated, but it makes it
explicit that the name string is the start of the filename.

Another way I could solve this problem would be to have page-level upload
directories with one page per paper, but then I lose the "per day" possibility.

Matching on the start of the filename is good enough for me because I can
just prefix the files with strings that sort and display as desired.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668