[pmwiki-users] Links to files on a network share not working in both IE and Firefox

Crisp, Steve [UK] SCRISP at ngms.eu.com
Sat Jul 30 13:14:53 CDT 2005

Dear pmwiki users,

I've been using pmwiki for about 2 months now and have a really simple problem that I just can't seem to fix.  When we link to a file on windows networked share we do the following markup:

I want to [link to this file -> file:\\machine_name\directory_path\myfile.doc <file:///\\machine_name\directory_path\myfile.doc> ]

Using Internet Explorer 6 to display this page resolves this to be "file://machine_name/directory_path/myfile.doc" and all works fine.  Click the link and the Word document is loaded - great.

Using FireFox or Mozilla (same thing) this page resolves to be " file:///\\machine_name\directory_path\myfile.doc" and things do not work.

Can anyone let us know what is going on and how to get this working in both IE and Firefox?  I'm sure this is so easy - I just can't see why.  I've tried the obvious replacing all back-slashes with forward-slashes in the wiki markup and using three slashes e.g. file:/// but nothing seems to work in both browsers.

Configuration details:
pmwiki beta 48 - default configuration unchanged
FixFlow 3f skin

Thanks in advance for your help,
-Steve.