[pmwiki-users] Re: off-topic: Behaviour of non-existiant home page

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Jun 3 07:23:44 CDT 2005

Neil Herber wrote:
> The major thing that is confusing is that the behavior changes depending
> on:
> 1) whether or not  the group Test1 exists
> 2) whether or not  the pageTest1.Test1 exists
> 3) whether or not  the page Test1.HomePage exists
> 4) whether or not  the page Main.Test1 exists
>
> The present behavior looks arbitrary. Sometime you get a dialog asking
> about a series of options and sometimes you get what looks like an empty
> page with an invitation to populate it.

I have to second the general feeling here. The only reason why I didn't
post a bug report weeks ago is because I've been assuming that any
problems here are inconsequential, and if the page name isn't what one
wanted, it can be fixed easily.

However, it does leave a feeling of insecurity in those who experience
unexpected behavior. And the defaults in place here are complicated
enough that it's almost unavoidable that the selection of a given
default will surprise somebody.

I don't know what exactly is going on, so the only recommendation I can
give is to avoid any guesswork behavior and let the user decide what he
really wanted :-)

Regards,
Jo