[pmwiki-users] Syntax questions

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Jun 11 10:36:48 CDT 2005

On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 10:47:14AM +0100, Ed W wrote:
> Couple of quick questions.  Perhaps someone can advise:
>
> Is there any reason why page location links can't start with a number, eg
>
> [[#30ftTo40ft]]

Page location links become id= and name= attributes in HTML, and
the HTML specification says that these must begin with a letter.
(See http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/types.html#type-name.)

> Also, I have switched off the WikiWord linking on my site, but bits of
> the help now are a pain to access because they haven't got manual
> linking.  Rather than just fixup my copy would it be more useful to go
> through the help on the main pmwiki site and fixup that one to use
> forced links everywhere?

Yes, please fix these up on pmwiki.org.  The documentation is supposed
to be written such that the page links still work even if WikiWord links
are disabled.

> Finally.  I notice that lots of markup won't work if the line before
> ends with a "\\".  This is a bit of a pain, any reason for this?

Which markups aren't working?  Keep in mind that if the previous line
begins with "\\" then it means that the next line is treated as a
continuation of the current line (with a line break inserted).