[pmwiki-users] Changing default group...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Jun 12 09:52:22 CDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 04:30:04PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> In order to change the default place for the sidebar, I think I currently
> have to modify the page template because it looks like this:

>         <!--wiki:$Group.SideBar Main.SideBar--></td>
> 	<!--/PageLeftFmt-->
>
> Would it be possible to replace it with something like this:

>         <!--wiki:$Group.SideBar $DefaultGroup.SideBar--></td>
> 	<!--/PageLeftFmt-->
>
> I did the above change to my pmwiki.tmp and it works as expected, i.e.
> simply changing $DefaultGroup also implies that the location of the
> default sidebar changes.

The template hardcodes "Main" because otherwise new admins are often
surprised and confused when the sidebar disappears after they've
changed $DefaultGroup.  It's the same reason why we use
Main.AllRecentChanges instead of $DefaultGroup.AllRecentChanges.

However, I might consider switching it to:

        <!--wiki:$Group.SideBar $DefaultGroup.SideBar Main.SideBar--></td>
        <!--/PageLeftFmt-->