[pmwiki-users] Upgrade question - tracking down wiki words

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Jun 12 14:09:12 CDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 03:40:27PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> Hi
>
> In the process of upgrading to pmwiki-2, I'm planning to stop using camel
> case for wiki words. Is there a way to find all such links, so that I
> (manually?) can fix the links?

In general this can be a bit tricky, because we have to find all "bare"
wikiwords and ignore any that might appear in the middle of directives,
urls, [[...]] links, etc.

One temporary solution might be to continue to support WikiWords, but have
them generate a link to a page only if the page exists (otherwise the
wikiword is displayed as normal text w/o a "create page link" decoration).
I'm sure I could quickly come up with some mechanism to do this.  This
would mean that WikiWords become useful for linking to existing pages
but don't clutter up the display if/when there's no existing target.

There could even be an option (e.g., in a URL or cookie) that causes
WikiWord links to display differently, so that someone browsing the
site could easily identify where the wikiword links are and manually
convert them to non-WikiWord links.  I may do this for the documentation
section of pmwiki.org...

Short of that, the possibilities I can imagine...
   1. Build a pagelist-filter to find pages containing bare wikiwords.
   2. Create a script that goes through a list of pages, processes them
      for wikiwords (ignoring wikiwords that appear in the middle of other
      link constructs) and modifies them accordingly.