[pmwiki-users] Upgrade question - tracking down wiki words

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Mon Jun 13 10:45:27 CDT 2005

At 2005-06-12  02:09 PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>One temporary solution might be to continue to support WikiWords, but have
>them generate a link to a page only if the page exists (otherwise the
>wikiword is displayed as normal text w/o a "create page link" decoration).
>I'm sure I could quickly come up with some mechanism to do this.  This
>would mean that WikiWords become useful for linking to existing pages
>but don't clutter up the display if/when there's no existing target.

I  sort of like this idea - but I think it might be too confusing for
authors if wiki words work sometimes and not others. They may get used to
typing things like HomePage instead of [[Home Page]].

I have a hare-brained suggestion of my own:

Have an intermediate state between wiki words and no wiki words (partial
wiki words?) that emits some distinctive markup for bare wiki words like this:

         TheUnlinkedPage (notlinked!!)

This would be similar to the markup for unapproved URL links. Wiki admins
or authors could then just search for "notlinked!!".

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668