Name for "utility" group variable (Was: [pmwiki-users] Problem withURLapprove)

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Mon Jun 13 16:43:18 CDT 2005

Hi everybody

I'd like some help in coming up with a good name for a variable that will
denote the group in which pages such as: Main.AllRecentChanges reside in.
This is currently hardcoded to 'Main.AllRecentChanges', but I'd like to
convince Patrick to replace this with something like
	$SiteGroup.AllRecentChanges.
	    ^
	    looking for a good name here

However, I'm not conviced that $SiteGroup is a good name. Here's a
response from Patrick after he has explaind that using $DefaultGroup for
this purpose isn't so good, since this variable (currently) controls the
default group that a user is directed to.

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 10:36:35PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> > Would there be any drawback to changing hardcoded "Main"-strings into
> > $UtilGroup or $SiteGroup (execept that we'd have to choose a name)? This
> > variable would of course be set to 'Main' by default.
>
> The only drawback is that it might invite confusion about the difference
> between it and $DefaultGroup, which is why the choice of variable name
> is fairly important.
>
> > How about $PmWikiConfigGroup?  It's a pity $PmWikiGroup sounds too much
> > like it'd just point to /PmWiki/ (perhaps with a language twist)
>
> I not a big fan of "Config" here because the things in Main are really
> not "configuration" items in the sense that they don't "configure"
> anything about how PmWiki works.  They're really more utility or support
> pages than configuration.

What pages are we talking about here? I can think of these at least:

	$???.AllRecentChanges
	$???.AllRecentUploads
	$???.SearchWiki
	$???.SideBar
	$???.PageNotFound

What others pages are there?

If the pages are mainly 'utility' pages, I guess $UtilGroup could be a
candidate.

/Christian