[pmwiki-users] Re: Utility pages

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Wed Jun 15 05:48:41 CDT 2005

On 15 Jun 2005, John Rankin wrote:

> On Wednesday, 15 June 2005 2:45 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> >With this message I'll try to review the options discussed thus far,
> >offer some opinions, and then let's see if we can come to a decision
> >that most of us can live with.
> >
> >  Site
> >    Actually, this one is growing on me the more I think about it --
> >    Site.AllRecentChanges, Site.SearchWiki, Site.EditForm, Site.ActionList,
> >    Site.EditQuickReference, etc.  all seem to work very well.  The downside
> >    is that it encroaches on sites that want to use "Site" as a group--
> >    but I suspect that's not common (and the few sites that want to do
> >    this can move the default Site.* pages to another group).
>
> 'Site' works for me. So would 'Wiki'. OTOH...

I'd prefer Site, and simply 'Wiki' would also work for me. Both seem
rather unlikely to be used for something else.

> Describing them as "utility pages" seems natural and descriptive.
> The title of this message is 'Utility pages' not 'Site pages'.
> So 'Util', 'UP', 'UPage' have some appeal (rejecting 'Utility'
> for the reason given).

The problem with 'Util' is that think it's relatively common to use for
other stuff... that's what I'd call a group with pages about utilities in
general for one.

> >If we go with "Site", I think the obvious configuration variable name
> >for it is $SiteGroup.
>
> Or possibly $UtilityGroup. I can't help but think that potentially the
> DocumentationIndex page will be called UtilityGroup, not SiteGroup.

Wouldn't DocumentationIndex always stay in PmWiki/? AFAIK, we're not
talking about movng the PmWiki-documentation, just these "extra" pages.

/Christian