[pmwiki-users] Re: Utility pages

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Wed Jun 15 14:25:08 CDT 2005

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> Jon hits most of the major issues I see squarely on the head...
>
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:22:35AM -0500, Jon Haupt wrote:
> >    [...lots of good stuff deleted...]
> >    PmWikiAdmin always seemed like a good idea and the length really never
> >    bothered me before because nobody visited those pages much, but like
> >    Patrick said you'd suddenly be visiting it a lot if that's where
> >    AllRecentChanges or SearchWiki was located.

> For those who are concerned that an admin might want to use
> "Site" as a group name-- I'll pose the question:  How many existing
> sites are actually doing or considering this?  It's now worth noting
> that we have at least one example of a site that is using "Wiki" as a
> group name to hold pages about wikis (not about administration of
> the wiki).  And yes, we also have a site that is using "Site" as a
> group name (Christian Ridderström's site(s)), but Christian has already
> indicated that he's using "Site" for the same reasons we're discussing,
> so it's not really a conflict.  :-)

Quite true. Here are some of the pages I currently have in a Site/

Site.AllRecentChanges
Site.AllRecentUploads
Site.Copyrights		- Copyright info for pages on this site
Site.CreatingGroup	- Site specific info on creating a new group
Site.DefineWikiStyles	- Pre-defined wiki styles ("site global")
Site.FAQ		- FAQ about the site and how it works
Site.EditQuickReference - With site specific modifications
Site.GroupCategories	- Categories of groups (will become Fields)
Site.GroupHeader
Site.GroupMap		- Overview of groups
Site.Help		- Help for the site
Site.History		- How the site has evolved
Site.InterLinks		- The interlinks available at this site
Site.LocalConfiguration - How the site is configured
Site.LocalMarkup	- Extra markup that works on this site
Site.Navigation		- How to navigate this site
Site.PageTrailForNewbies
Site.Site
Site.SiteMap		- Overview of the site
Site.SiteStructure	- Structure of site (implmentation details)
Site.SoftwarePatentProtest
Site.Tips
Site.UploadQuickReference - With site specific modifications
Site.WritingPages	- Tips for when writing pages

These aren't all the pages. Note that they are all customized for the
site in question.

Btw, I've moved the WikiSandbox into Playground.WikiSandbox... that way
everybody can get their own sandboxes to play in :-)

To summarize, I'm very happy with 'Site/' for the extra pages as well as
putting site specific help pages in the same group. Having pages such as
Site.FAQ, Site.Navigation and Site.Help makes sense to me...

However, please note that I so far haven't used fields to any extend. I
expect that I'll split the pages above into one group ('Site/') that is
shared by all fields, and then put a group called 'Field' in each field.
This is not done yet, but pages such as AllRecentChanges would probably
end up in this group 'Field/'. I'd also put the sidebar for each field
in that group. Anyway, I've written in a separate post about this.

/Christian