[pmwiki-users] More template queries and UTF-8 display

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Thu Jun 16 08:50:28 CDT 2005

Thanks for your patient and helpful replies, Patrick. I really
appreciate them, as well as Hans'. :)

On 16/06/2005, at 11:10 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 10:35:22PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
>
>> They should still turn up in a search for PmWikiVi, shouldn't they?
>> I'd still rather have accented links, even if it means they only work
>> internally, as long as the search engines will pick up the main Vi
>> page. No accents just ruins the meaning of the words. :(
>
> Welcome to the wonderful world of character sets and i18n.

Being a Vietnamese translator drags you into that regardless: we're a
test case for Unicode support. The stories I could tell you...

> You definitely want to keep the accented titles.  Search doesn't work
> properly for them on pmwiki.org, because the search page
> (Main.SearchWiki) is in a group that is using iso-8859-1 encoding,
> while the PmWikiVi page titles are encoded with utf-8.  On a normal
> PmWiki installation this really isn't a problem, because there the
> entire site will typically be using the same encoding for all of
> its pages
> and there the search will work just fine.

Can pmwiki.org not use UTF-8? As Hans was saying, the recent changes
result is affected too.

>> I've noticed that my browser (or the server returning the page) is
>> mangling the accented vowels horribly when showing the address in the
>> status bar. If I copy the address of the translated cookbook
>> template, for example, instead of:
>>     http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiVi/SáchC???mNang
>> I get:
>>     http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiVi/S%c3%a1chC%e1%ba%a9mNang
>> which is UGLY. Which end is doing that? My browser is pretty good
>> with UTF-8 (OmniWeb 5.1, full of tech gadgets, um, serious tools).
>
> PmWiki is doing it because it must do so to be standards-compliant.
> According to the standard for urls (RFC 2396), urls must consist of
> characters only in the US-ASCII set; everything else has to be
> escaped (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt, section 2.4):
<snip details>

Thankyou for the details. I'm not surprised, although I am
disappointed. Full Unicode support is indeed a long way off. Worth
working for, though...

It's good to know PmWiki is standards-compliant. I know that's not an
easy thing to maintain, so thanks for putting in that effort, and all
the other amazing total of things you must have done, and must need
to do, to keep PmWiki at the standard it's achieved. Merci beaucoup,
mon ami.

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc