[pmwiki-users] Re: Per-group subdirectories in wiki.d/

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sat Jun 18 07:28:46 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> I believe the limit for ext2 (and ext3) is 32,000 files in a
> directory, as controlled by the definition of EXT2_LINK_MAX in
 > include/linux/ext2_fs.h :
>
>     #define EXT2_LINK_MAX           32000

See section 4 on
http://www.kerneltraffic.org/kernel-traffic/kt20010514_118.html about
file system limits.

It says that EXT2_LINK_MAX is just one of the reasons why there cannot
be more than about 32,000 *subdirectories* per directory, and that
having millions of *files* in a directory is not an issue (other than
performance). (EXT2_LINK_MAX does not control directory size.
Directories are just normal files at the file system level.)

Regards,
Jo