[pmwiki-users] Reason why pagetoc.php isn't used for Cookbook.Cookbook?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jun 20 09:18:32 CDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 08:49:37AM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> I'm just curious, but is there a reason why the pagetoc recipy isn't used
> for the main cookbook page? As it is now, that TOC will have to be
> maintained manually.

Welllll, my answer was going to be that I don't want to
enable too many special-purpose recipes on pmwiki.org, because people
viewing the markup may then expect those same markups to be available
in the distribution (given that pmwiki.org is a primary example of
what comes with the distribution).

However, I'm not sure I can reconcile that position with the %dlcol%
wikistyle I just added, since %dlcol% is not part of the distribution.

So, I'll have to think about it some more.  My initial thought is that
I don't expect the TOC to change all that frequently, so having to
maintain it manually isn't that difficult.  My subsequent thought is
that maybe it's time to include a (:toc:) markup in the core, but
I feel like the current recipe does a bit too much for my taste.

So, I think we just need to decide where pmwiki.org (and PmWiki) should
go in this respect.

(Note for clarification:  I don't have any problem with enabling specific
recipes on individual cookbook pages -- I'm just don't necessarily want
to make them site-wide on pmwiki.org until they're part of a standard
distribution.)