[pmwiki-users] Re: Reason why pagetoc.php isn't used for Cookbook.Cookbook?

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Mon Jun 20 17:52:56 CDT 2005

On 21 Jun 2005, John Rankin wrote:

> In my head, I have started composing a message about wiki -> pdf,
> which is very close to a beta 1 release. Meanwhile, let me just
> note that I think it's going to be a case where group-wide
> enabling is appropriate (site-wide would be nicer, but I agree
> that this is not necessarily a good idea).

Hi John... I can't make heads or tails of your post ;-)  Are you agreeing
about enabling pagetoc.php for the Cookbook group, or suggesting that it
should use the wiki->pdf stuff you're about to release?

> The wiki -> pdf engine lets an information seeker typeset:
> - a single page
> - all the pages on a trail (using publish trail)
> - the backlinks to a page (selectable)

cool.

> - the links on a page (selectable)
> - search results (selectable)
> - category links (selectable)
> - PITS lists (using wikiforms)
> - calendar entries (using wikicalendar)

Sounds very useful all in all.

> So just enabling it for a single page would severely limit the
> functionality.
>
> Incidentally, it also becomes possible to output any of the above
> to another XML dtd, such as Open Office, if you know the wiki ->
> xml translation rules.
>
> So setting up a demonstation group seems to me to be a useful
> thing to do. I think this would allow one to typeset the
> DocumentationIndex page, to produce a printable user manual,
> but I haven't yet tested this particular option.
>
> Not surprisingly, the above requires a package of scripts.
>
> Thoughts?

I'll probably want to check this out in a while... there's a bunch of wiki
pages on my work intranet where this might be useful.

/Christian