[pmwiki-users] Input recipe

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Jun 24 06:36:37 CDT 2005

Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 12:37:07AM +0200, Dominique Faure wrote:

> Dunno. (:input ...:) just seemed the most straightforward markup for
> what I was doing. I don't know much about the edit form, so I can't say
> whether a merge would be fruitful.
> Anybody got a pointer so I can take a look?

Found it myself :-)

A merge seems sensible. The main differences are:

1) Control and attribute terminology.
That's something that warrants a conscious decision, but the
architecture allows changing it without trouble, so this isn't a serious
problem.

2) Background data threading.
There's no provision for that in the Forms recipe yet, so it's easy to add.

3) Documentation.
The Input docs are far more formal. The Forms docs are explaining things
by example. I'm not sure how to best merge these - both approaches have
their merits.

I don't think the recipes should remain separate. They're essentially
doing the same things. In fact the next thing I'm going to do right now
is to take forms.php, add session support, and upload that as input.php
on the Cookbook.Input page. (Maybe rename Input to FormsDetails.)

As an aside note, I just documented the (relatively new) ParseArgs
function on Cookbook.Functions.

Regards,
Jo